Sunday, April 20, 2008


This handsome fella was buried deep in the foliage of Jungle Gardens. I tried to do a little research on Tiki culture but found very little information online. Here is what I did find: Tiki is an art form that has been around for thousands of years. It is found in the jungles of Africa, the stone faces of Easter Island, the totem poles of the American Indians. "In Central Eastern Polynesian cultures of the Pacific Ocean, tiki is a name given to large carvings of humanoid form. These carvings often serve to mark the boundaries of sacred or significant sites." (Wikipedia) I found a website that sells tiki masks and totems but also has information about Hawaiian Tiki History. Tiki culture was popular here in America, the 1950's and 60's. Trader Vics was one of the popular Polynesian-theme restaurants that promoted the tiki bar experience. Anyone remember the Hawaii episode of the Brady Bunch where Bobby found the evil tiki god carving at Mr. Brady's construction site? This movie (a classic!) definately influenced America's desire for everything "tiki"! I knew a Wisconsin family who decorated their entire basement in the Polynesian tiki bar motif. It was a great get-a-way in the middle of a cold winter! Anyone know someone who still has one in their home?

6 comments:

  1. No, but I sure do love the Tiki torches full of citronella in the summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you a SA too? I just adopted a USAR girl in Tikrit! Saw the logo on your site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi KV - Yes,I am a SA...not as active recently in mailing boxes of supplies, but I send letters weekly to wounded soldiers. Last year we (my co-workers and I) did a Christmas card drive. It is awesome when you get a note back... and even if you don't - you know that you're doing something worthwhile. Glad to see you've become a member... Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone know someone who still has one in their home?

    Nope... but I DO have a copy of "South Pacific," tho... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just go there- preferably in the winter here in NoVA... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck - South Pacific was one of my Dad's favorites...he's the one who turned me on to it.

    Jim - we need pictures please!

    ReplyDelete