Monday, June 23, 2008

Nauset Light - Eastham MA


Yes, I sucked it up and did a "driving" tour of the Eastham beaches! Filling up the gas tank hurt, but once I was out there checking out the gorgeous places to see it seemed worth it. Equipped with just my cell phone camera (my Cannon died), I took some photos, but alas, most were poor quality. Occasionally, as in this picture of the Nauset Lighthouse, the shot actually looked okay.

Eastham is home to part of theCape Cod National Seashore, which actually starts in Provincetown and extends for 40 miles of seashore through six towns on the Cape. This is Nauset Beach.
As you can see, the beach lies far below. Known for it's large waves, surfers from all over come to ride during and after the big storms.


The lighthouse has a story all it's own,built in 1838 it was originally located in Chatham, but later moved to replace the last of the Three Sisters Lighthouses when it was decommissioned in 1923. In 1996 it had to be moved again, this time 300 feet back from it's original location because of coastal erosion.

Coast Guard Beach, just a stone's throw away from Nauset Beach, is often voted one of America's favorite beaches. The old Coast Guard station was built in 1937 and used as such until 1958 when the National Seashore took over the building.


Well I have a few more spots to share with you.... tomorrow! Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Your scenery is SO much more photogenic than mine, Alison. I can drive anywhere within a 50-mile radius of home and the landscape never changes!

    Am I envious? Yes, in a word! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beach scenes. I hope you are having an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're having a great time! I love the pictures. I really need to get a new camera and get out more often to take pictures of our beautiful scenery around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete