Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Question of the day: Does Anyone Know How Much Money is owed to the US?

US Treasury Building



I was asked that question today and it sent me on a fast and furious web search for information.  I couldn't find anything substantial, but that could be because I don't know quite where to look.  I did find a reference that in the 70's the US had forgiven any outstanding world war debt owed to us by foreign countries. I muddled through some stuff on the US Treasury website, but didn't find anything specific.  (I did get a kick out of reading their Strategic Plan). I found a site that supposedly gives up to the minute US Debt click here. (Not what I was looking for, but definitely a depressing thought... over 11 trillion? WOW.) If anyone reading this can help answer the question of the day.... "how much is owed to us?" please comment!  Thank you!

P.S. I'm betting on "not much".

2 comments:

  1. There are countries that owe us a debt that could never be repaid, at any cost. "Freedom ain't free," and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Buck, I did find alot of information about countries that we had helped who would never be able to repay us. I guess the answer to the question is No, there are no "collectible" debts owed to our country.

    ReplyDelete